Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Dress Number 1

I made a few Christmas dresses this year. Two for my daughter and one for me. It's nice to have a few to wear all month long to all of those parties and stuff. So here is the first one of hers.


I love this plaid fabric. She had requested something pink, even though I tried to convince her that pink is not really Christmas-y. But I saw this pink plaid print and thought it would be great. It is a cotton/spandex jersey. It is pink with some green and lavender. But I think the plaid makes it Christmas-y. And I added a strip of green at the waist just to make sure.


This pattern is the Uptown / Downtown Dress by Sew Straight Pattern Company.  I love the shape of the dress. It curves in at the waist and then flares out into a twirly skirt. She has an expansion pack available for the dress also, which includes the long sleeves and even the contrast waistband.



I changed the neckline on mine a bit. The original pattern has a neckline that is pretty low and wide. But, since it is winter and my daughter is rather narrow through the shoulders, it needed more coverage there. I added about a 1/2" width in each shoulder and raised the neckline by nearly 2 inches. Now it is a perfect winter dress for her. The cowl neck option from the expansion pack would also have worked well and would have been super cute for winter. But her Christmas dress number 2 had a cowl neck, so I chose not to do that with this one.


I'm not sure what that goofy face is, but I think she likes it. :)

1 comment: