Friday, March 13, 2015

St Patrick's Day for Boys

Happy St Patrick's Day. Okay, it's coming up in a few days. And my kids are so excited. They think they are going to catch a leprechaun. Who knows where they got that idea?! Well, they wanted special shirts and they got them.


I sewed them each a tee shirt, in a nice Irish green, of course. And I embellished each using paint and freezer paper stenciling.


For the boy, I chose a raglan - style shirt and chose the green for the sleeves and the gray for the shirt. I searched around for just the right pattern for the raglan that I envisioned. I ended up using
the Field Trip Raglan from Oliver and S. I am really happy with the fit and it went together easily. The pattern did not have short sleeves, so I modified just a bit for that. I think it's a great boyish look.

I painted a simple shamrock with the freezer paper stencil. I didn't have quite the right shade of green paint. It would have been nice if it matched the sleeves a little better. And looking at it now, I wonder if I should have painted it a tad higher. But, oh well; he likes it. I also chose to do the hem with a reverse coverstitch in green thread. I really like the look. Of course, the coverstitching is a bit more visible this way, and you can see any mistakes or inconsistencies a bit more. But again, who's really looking, right? We are happy with it. I plan to keep practicing this on other shirts because I like the look.



Check back next time to see the St Patrick's Day shirt for Girls.

Shirt details
Pattern: Field Trip Raglan Tee from Oliver and S.
Fabric: Laguna Cotton Jersey in grass and heather gray

No comments:

Post a Comment