Sunday, June 28, 2015

Jalie Men's Tee

In honor of the Canadian Designer's Blog Tour, which is in it's final days, I have one last project to share with you. This is Jalie 2918, Men's T-shirts, which you can find here. The Jalie are my go-to patterns for basic t-shirts. They fit great, have lots of options, and a huge size range. I have also made tees for my boy from the same pattern.

This pattern may not look very exciting. After all, it's just a t-shirt. But there are not many things my husband asks for and he is very picky when it comes to clothes, and he loves this shirt. It's a basic pattern, but I think that makes it a staple. There is so much you can do with it. And of course, you can make plain old basic t-shirts. It's hard not to love that. 

I do find that the Jalie tees fit a bit on the slim side, so I usually size up one size and this works perfectly for me. There are so many sizes (not just S, M, L) so it's easy to get exactly the fit you want. 

Check out the blog tour at for interviews with all the designers and a few giveaways.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Thread Theory Camas Blouse

I recently finished this Camas Blouse by Thread Theory. Pretty cute, no? I have been really impressed with other Thread Theory patterns I have made. See the Finlayson Sweater I made here. Thread Theory mostly makes patterns for men, but they released this pattern for women last winter. I bought the pattern shortly after it was released, then cut all the fabric about two months ago, and finally got it sewn together. I have been working slow lately. Between working on projects for everyone else and then life getting busy, I just didn't get much sewing for me accomplished. I am so glad to have this one done. 

I found this pink fabric on clearance at Mood a little while back and I knew I wanted to use it for this project. It is a rayon jersey in a nice medium weight. Since it is rayon, it has a great drape which I love for this project. I wasn't sure about the pink color at first, but now that it is done, I actually like it. I think the contrast yoke helps. I used some scraps of cotton jersey from another project for the yoke (love when I can use those scraps). 

The pattern is drafted for knits or stretch wovens with a lot of drape - so the rayon jersey was a good choice. The yokes can be made from a non-stretch fabric, which really opens up a lot of options. The style is sophisticated but comfortable and it has a lot of nice details. 

I made the pattern in a size 2, which one one size smaller than where my measurements put me. Luckily, the pattern gives detailed measurements for the finished garment (always a great feature), so I was pretty sure this was the size I needed. This fabric has a lot of stretch, so if I used a stretch woven, I would probably go with the size my measurements put me in. 

Overall I like the style and the fit a lot. The directions were clear and easy to understand. The printable pages went together well and pattern has grainline markings, appropriate notches, and lengthen/shorten lines. The sleeve has a different shape for the front and back. A lot of the details were really nice - those gathers came together more easily than I thought. And the curved hem has just enough curve to be pretty, but was not too difficult to hem. 

The thing that I did have trouble with was the placket. I seam-ripped that placket several times before I finally got it "good enough." (It's a good thing I really liked this shirt or else I would not have persevered.) Some of that could be my fault, as I have not sewn that many plackets. I am far from an expert. But, the placket needed to be eased in a lot and I was having trouble doing that. Also, I think the wide 5/8" made things more difficult, considering it was a relatively narrow placket and there was a lot of convex/concave curve matching with that big ol' SA. Then, it has you baste-stitch the inner placket in before top-stitching it down, and with this type of knit fabric, it was not easy to pull those baste stitches out without snagging the fabric. So the placket on this one is far from perfect. (Don't look too closely.) The good news is, since this style pulls easily over your head (check to make sure before sewing the buttons), you can sew "cheater buttons." Instead of sewing actual buttonholes, I just sewed the buttons directly through all the layers of fabric. I would never have unbuttoned them anyway if I didn't have to.

Now that I am finally finished with this shirt, I really like it, even with my imperfect placket. I like it enough that I want to make another one when I get around to it, maybe this fall. I will have to think about how I might do the placket differently, though. My next try I will probably cut down the seam allowance there at least

Check out the interview with Thread Theory at Lulu and Celeste here. There's a discount code which is good until July 8th!

*I have no affiliation with Thread Theory, so of course, as usual, all opinions are my own.

Friday, June 12, 2015

Jalie Tee for Girl

Well, hello again.  I haven't posted much lately. The kids are now at home for the summer and I haven't gotten much of anything done. I haven't sewed very much and blogged even less. But, in honor of the Canadian Pattern Designer Blog Tour, here are some more Jalie t-shirts I made last month.

I have blogged about this pattern before, but Jalie 2805 is my go-to for basic t-shirts. It has four neckline options, four sleeve lengths, and includes toddler sizes all the way through women's size 22. I think it's also a great basic shape for a t-shirt and fits my daughter well. So, when she needed new tees this spring, I knew right where to go.

So far I made three of these t-shirts this spring - the pink and purple ones shown above and there was this one I made back for St Patrick's Day.

Check out more of the Canadian Pattern Designer Blog Tour over at Lulu & Celeste  and read their interview with the owner of Jalie pattern company here.