Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sewaholic Davie Dress

Hello readers! I am back again with another dress I made for this summer, the Davie Dress by Sewaholic Patterns.


I love that this dress is sophisticated yet comfortable. It's knit, so it's easy to wear, but it can be made from a stable knit like the ponte I used here which gives it structure and perhaps a bit more dressy feel. Perfect for an outdoor summer party! For this one, I used a ponte fino knit from fabric.com. The ponte fino has a high rayon content, making it drapier than most ponte fabrics, but oh so soft and breathable. I would love to make this dress again in a more structured ponte for a whole different look.

The Davie dress is also easy to sew. Even though I have a serger, I didn't use it for this dress. I made this one with the regular old sewing machine.  The construction of this one is really more like a woven dress.



So far I really like Sewaholic patterns. Their designs are elegant and classic. Also, they are designed for "pear shapes," so the designs should flatter those figures, but also the patterns and size charts will reflect the larger hip sizes. If this is you, you may find that you have to do a lot fewer alterations or size blending. I, however, am not a pear. I am pretty much a rectangle, so I was a little afraid of how the pattern would turn out for me. But no worries, it worked just fine. I did have to blend sizes down to a smaller hip size, but it was easy to do.

Other minor alterations that I made were shortening the bodice by 3/4" as well as a 3/4" swayback adjustment, both of which are pretty common for me. Don't you love when you can customize your clothes to fit?!

It's hard to see in the other photos, but there is also topstitching on every seam, which is a really nice detail, especially on this solid color. Check it out (that's the top of my back):



And some more pictures with my little photo bomber. (Blog post about her dress coming soon.)

What do you think?

I love knit dresses and so I love finding them in new designs. Do you have any favorite knit dresses?

2 comments:

  1. Cute dress! The top stitching really gives it a finished look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress! The top stitching really gives it a finished look.

    ReplyDelete