Wednesday, October 14, 2015

My first Maxi Skirt

I did it. I made (and wore) my first maxi skirt. I thought I couldn't pull it off, but I actually like it! I am only 5'2, so I didn't think they would work for me, but it did! 

Maxi skirts are great because they are so versatile. You can wear them all year. They are comfortable and yet polished. You can wear them to chase the kids around or wear them to work. I'm thinking this one won't be my last. Especially since they are so easy to make. The other advantage to making it yourself is that you can make it exactly the length you need, which is really important for this style. 


This is the Yoga A-Line Skirt from Jocole. (Find the pattern here.)  It's a simple design and easy to sew, which makes it do together quickly. I made one size larger than what my measurements call for because I find this pattern to be a bit more slim-fitting than I preferred. Remember that going up a size will just add some volume to the skirt, and then you can use your regular size for the waistband or adjust the waistband as needed. This is exactly what I did. For reference, my hips measure 35". I am almost always an XS in ready-to-wear, I measure at the low end of S for this pattern, but I made it in a Medium for extra volume in the skirt.




  I used a rayon spandex knit, which was medium weight but very drapey. It's quite comfortable and breathable. The drape of the fabric creates a really nice look even though it has a lot of volume to it. While I was constructing it, I tried on the skirt before attaching the waistband and decided that the drape of the fabric showed perhaps a little too much of my shape, so I decided to add a lining. I cut a piece of tricot fabric from the same pattern, using the length guide for knee-length. Then, I attached the outer fabric and the lining to the waistband as one piece.




What do you think? Do you wear maxi skirts? What are your favorite ways to style them?

2 comments:

  1. Looks good on you. I don't wear maxi skirts. The dragging on the floor and collecting all kinds of rubbish bit puts me off ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. I'm not a maxi skirt person, but am looking for a shorter boot skirt. I'm thinking this might work.

    ReplyDelete