Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Shwin Designs 909 Jacket

Hey readers. I am back today to show you another great jacket I sewed up recently. It's jacket time of year, after all. Where I live it doesn't usually get super cold, so I get a lot of wear out of a cozy jacket like this. I can wear this all winter. 

This is the 909 Jacket from Shwin Designs. I made it with a quilted jersey fabric from Raspberry Creek which is nice and stretchy and is really nice and warm without being too bulky. My favorite part of the jacket, though, is the back detail you can see below. This fabric is also from Raspberry Creek and it's a french terry from their exclusive line of club fabrics. 


See how cute this back detail is:

In terms of sizing for the jacket, I was near the top end of the size range for the XS, so I chose to size up to a Small in case I wanted extra room for layering. I probably would have been fine with the XS if I wasn't wearing anything too bulky underneath, but I love the coziness of this oversized jacket. And I can still wear a sweater underneath for a colder day. The body and sleeves are also nice and long on me. I did not make any changes to the lengths of the pattern, but keep in mind that I am only 5'2, so it's a bit longer than intended on me, but that is just the way I like it. 


The jacket was actually much quicker to sew up than I expected. With no facings or linings, it goes together quickly and easily. I did add a strip of stay tape to the inside of the front pieces before attaching the zipper in order to stabilize that area. The jacket may still be considered an intermediate pattern since it does involve inserting a zipper as well as sewing the point into the back detail. But overall, it is easier than most jacket patterns I have tried. 

Want to try making your own jacket? Pattern is available here:


Let's be friends! Would you like to keep up with what's going on with me and the blog? Find me on FacebookInstagram, and Pinterest.

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment