Thursday, May 26, 2016

Wear to Where Wedding Guest Style

It's time for another round of the Wear to Where Tour! The tour is hosted by Wild and Wanderful and Gardening in High Heels. Each day poses a different theme, like a location or a particular type of outing, and then both fashion bloggers and sewing bloggers show off an outfit to go along with the theme. There is so much great inspiration for all those summer outings!

Today's theme features Summer Wedding fashion. I sewed up a wedding guest dress and got to wear it to a friend's wedding.





I will admit I started with a bit of "sewist's block" trying to come up with what I wanted to sew. I'm not sure if that's a thing, but it should be. Maybe I just coined a new phrase, huh? Sometimes I am faced with all the possibility of a blank canvas and I don't know where to start. Add to that the pressure of being on a fashion inspiration blog tour. Eek! 


When I found this beautiful, two-toned lace fabric from Sew Vagabond, it started to come together. Lace is very popular right now and this floral, pastel pink lace really spoke to me of a romantic summer wedding. With this fabric in mind, I wanted something with a simple shape that kept the focus on the fabric. (Bonus was that it was also faster to sew, since I wasted so much time trying to decide what to make!)

I used the Sew Over It Ultimate Shift Dress, which I had been wanting to try for a while. It has few seams and a simple hook and eye or button and loop closure, so it is relatively easy to sew. 


For those sewists out there who are interested, I  made a few adjustments to the pattern. I made some petite adjustments, graded in slightly at the waist and out more at the hip,  and did a swayback adjustment. I also widened the sleeves because I found them quite tight on my rather large arms. Then, I altered the pattern to have a full lining in cotton lawn, leaving the sleeves unlined for a little sheer effect there.



Check out all the other looks and fashion inspiration on the tour!


WILD + WANDERFUL | WINNING WIFE


Let's be friends! Would you like to keep up with what's going on with me and the blog? Find me on FacebookInstagram, and Pinterest.


You can also follow me on Bloglovin


12 comments:

  1. Your fabric and pattern choice is beautiful! You've done such a great job fitting that to work with your frame and it totally nails what to wear to a summer wedding to stay comfortable but still look great. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angelica! It's worth the work to get it fitted. It really is comfortable and I felt great wearing this to the wedding we went to!

      Delete
  2. This is so gorgeous, I'm in love with your fabric choice. You did an amazing job tailoring this dress, it fits you perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great fabric combo! That dress fits you perfectly. Lovely Spring wedding choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay okay, you so win on the lace wedding gear. AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thanks Katy! I loved your outfit, too. We were both thinking lace!

      Delete
  6. I have been a wedding vender (Photographer) in the area for twenty five years and I have never been treated so well by a wedding venue like I was at this place. I am usually taken care of as a "last on the list" at venues, which I understand where the bride, groom and guest come first but the entire staff from the minute I walked in the door of Malibu wedding venues treated me so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful. It has awesome fabric and beautiful color. I am super excited to wear it.

    Thanks
    Margarita
    http://www.margaritasport.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. They added a few stems of green leaves for decoration to Same Day Delivery Flowers – to the beautiful pre-made bouquets. My favorite florist ever. Their $10 bouquet brighten up my living room.

    ReplyDelete