Tuesday, October 18, 2016

San Francisco Swing Top by Sew Caroline

A few weeks ago Caroline, over at Sew Caroline offered to send me a pattern to review. She has lots of patterns that are cute and comfy. Since we were deep into summer in the south, I picked the San Francisco Swing Top and Dress pattern. I had been wanting to try out a swing dress. It just seems so breezy and comfy for the hot sticky weather we were having. 


As you can see, though, I ended up with a top rather than a dress. As it turns out, I made the dress, but just didn't love the style on me. It was too much fabric. I love the swing dress style on others, but not on me. Maybe it's not for petites? Anyway, I'm glad I got to try it out. And the easy solution from there was to turn the dress into a top. Much better.

I made this out of a lovely rayon/spandex knit that had plenty of drape. You definitely want a lightweight fabric with a lot of drape for this style!


The pattern comes together easily and quickly, with just a few seams and bands to finish the neck and arms. It does take quite a bit of fabric to create the wide hem. I had two yards of fabric, so I was able to "cheat" a bit and fit the full dress length on two yards of fabric by adding the center back seam. You may be able to see the seam in the photo above. This will work well if your fabric is not directional. (Of course, I could have fit the top on my two yards if I had cut it at top length originally.) 


The other change I made was the hemline. The pattern hemline is cut straight across, perpendicular to the grain. This gives the final garment more of a handkerchief hem - longer on the sides than in the middle. The pattern illustrations don't really show this, so it's worth noting. That's not the look I was going for, so I adjusted the hem to be a little more straight across. 


Even though I sewed this top late in the summer, it's still warm enough to wear it here, and I'm looking forward to wearing it with a cute cardigan in the fall/winter.

Let's be friends! Would you like to keep up with what's going on with me and the blog? Find me on FacebookInstagram, and Pinterest.


You can also follow me on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment